Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father's Day: Dad I Love You, Let Me Count The Ways

Happy Father's Day to all the Father's out there.

When it comes to Father's I am lucky enough to hit the proverbial jackpot. I have a wonderful Father, I have a great Father-in-law, I married a man who is a loving husband and Father. My relationship with each of my brothers (who are also loving Father's) is great, I even have a brother-in-law who is a new Father, rocking the Father role quite well too.

I couldn't have asked for a better Dad. He has always been my champion, and the champion of our family. He has been there at every stage of my life, offering encouragement, advice and support in any way he can.

I walk each morning with my Dad. It is a ritual we began after my parents moved closer to us about two and a half years ago. During our time together each morning, we get caught up on the comings and goings of our lives. I think I do more of the talking. It is easy to do, since he is a great listener. Which is sometimes comical, since he is quite hard of hearing.

On our walks we talk about the weather, we notice the local wildlife, especially the birds, though we are by no means bird watchers. We check on "our" harvester ant colony each morning, and make note of their changes and activities. We greet the neighbors out walking and always pet the furry neighbors who brighten our walk. We sometimes discuss politics. We don't always agree, but we always listen to one another and respect the other persons point of view. We always find common ground even when we disagree, we are more alike than different. We both love to read and share books. Our most recent favorite was "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand. Though we have both loved "Open" by Andre Agassi, "Pillars of the Earth" and "A World Without End" both by Ken Follett. When we read "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle" we both loved it, but the ending made him sad and ruined the experience for him. His heart is wide open at this point in his life. He loves Westerns, both movies and books, because he knows the guys in the white hats always win, and the "bad" guys are obviously "bad". Somehow this all harkens back to a simpler time and is far more comforting than so much of what is going on out in the greater world today. We almost always find something to laugh about, and that is the best part. If we can laugh until we cry, all the better. I am lucky. I know each and every morning is precious. I cherish our time together.

When I was a little girl I danced on my Father's toes, he was the tallest most handsome and loving man I knew. He was my super hero. He is the first man I ever loved, and taught me about being loved, which laid the groundwork for me finding a wonderful husband. As I grew older, and the real world challenged my childish thoughts and opinions, many of my beliefs changed in the face of a greater world view. One constant which stood up to the whole wide world was the love for and from my family of origin, and most notably, the constant of the love from my Mom and Dad. I am blessed and honored to have a loving relationship with both of my parents.

It makes sense to me that my life started in the cocoon of my family of origin. There were a lot of gifts which came to me through that, but none more precious than being loved. Thank you to both of my parents for loving us all. Almost every day, my day starts with the warm embrace of my Father, sometimes my Mom joins us too. It is a harkening back to the beginning of my life, only better. He is no longer working full time to provide for our family and worried about the type of people we would each grow up to be. I am no longer growing up, trying to figure out who I am in this world and making my mark. We are able to just be together, in a very relaxed, comfortable and loving way. We are all made better by such love. The world is a better place in the face of such love and by such love. These are no small things. I do not take them lightly. I am blessed beyond measure in so many ways in my life. This is one in a long list of gifts I treasure.

This is one we can all pay forward. Who do you love? Do you spend time regularly in their presence? Do you tell one another not only that you love one another, but take the time to count the ways? This is how we change the world, one heart at a time. I know I am a better person for it.

I love you Dad. These are just some of the ways. Thank you. Happy Father's Day.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your special father/daughter relationship. How lucky you are to be able to walk with your Dad every day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is just so cool that you walk with your dad every day. What at amazing bonding activity! I admire you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Shary and Leah! You are both so sweet to check in and I always love hearing from you!

    ReplyDelete