Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Come Together

Come and go, ebb and flow. We really are truly blessed. There are so many reasons to be thankful. Our daughter is graduating from high school next week. She is at the top of her class and headed to University in the Fall. She is dating a very nice young man who we all adore. Our son is coming home from University for the summer this week and bringing his adorable girlfriend with him for a visit. My in-laws are in town and my brother-in-law and his wife and baby will be here in a few days as well. Our house will be full to bursting with people and love. With the hustle and bustle of shopping and preparing food together, and the communion with one another, it is a busy time.

It has been a wonderful few days of catching up with my mother and father-in-law before the rest of the family arrives. We are showered with the blessings of a loving family.

I couldn't ask for a more loving mother and father-in-law or for better grandparents to our children. They are thoughtful, generous, kind, respectful and considerate. They are here to celebrate the highs in our lives and to commiserate during those more challenging times. When we come together we share thoughts and ideas, recipes, advice and love. It didn't start out this way. I was a young bride, who really didn't know herself completely, let alone how to be a graceful daughter-in-law. We were the first of our generation to marry in my husband's family of origin. It was a bumpy road as we learned to appreciate one another's differences and celebrate what we love about one another, not for me and my husband - that has always been easy, rather for me and my husband's family. It is no easy task bringing two families together. We had many differences, and it didn't help that my husband was not especially connected to his family at the time. I took it upon myself to try and bring us all together into one happy family. That was my first mistake, in a long line to follow. Today I can see based upon false assumptions, misunderstandings and hurt feelings, the mine field grew. I can see some of the reactions to one another's actions which could have been handled more smoothly, on both sides, but we have long since mended those fences. We have come together in love, taking responsibility for our actions each asking for and granting forgiveness. It has been many years ago now, but at some point our relationship made a sharp turn, changing the course completely and we were able to begin anew. Seeing one another for who we all are, with all our human imperfections, and loving and appreciating one another even more for it.

There is so much to celebrate and be thankful for, and I am celebrating and thankful! Events such as graduations and weddings are great milestones in our lives. It feels like we could benefit from more opportunities to come together and celebrate one another. There will be more to report about the revelry, the coming together and getting to celebrate one another and this time together.

Blessings to you all, may we all come together and celebrate in love more often!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Kim, for reminding us what's important in life! Very inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Leah! I always enjoy your writing too!

    ReplyDelete